Abandoned America Abroad: Chernobyl Photo Tour2020
October 3-10, 2020 SOLD OUT
April 25 - May 2 2020 SOLD OUT
GROUP SIZE: 5 maximum
Join Matthew Christopher of Abandoned America to explore the haunting and unforgettable remains of Chernobyl, Pripyat, and the surrounding countryside! We'll spend 5 days visiting the remains of the Duga Radar array, tour the fascinating city of Pripyat including its schools, apartments, stores and cafes, and the hospital the first responders to the disaster were brought to. We'll tour the power plant where the disaster occurred and visit the control room workers where workers tried to prevent the catastrophe, photograph an abandoned Soviet summer camp, and see the remains of arts and culture buildings and athletic facilities. We'll also take a walking tour of Kyiv, stay in the town where current workers at Chernobyl live and eat lunch in their cafe. We've included drone photography permits, if that's your thing, and will have a night photography event in Pripyat too!
Unlike many Chernobyl tours that bring large groups in buses to locations and dump out tourists with little guidance, we're keeping the group to five individuals to create an environment that allows photographers to work at their own pace and without hindrances. Our English-speaking Ukranian guide has led groups for nine years and works primarily with photographers, so he knows how to best adapt to their needs and help them find the best spots for their shots. His grandfather was also one of the first responders to the disaster, and he is full of fascinating facts and anecdotes about the area. Photographers will all be given individual accommodation unless they request otherwise.
Matthew Christopher will be onhand to help you shoot at each location, and optional periodic evening groups will let you ask questions about editing your photos and receive individualized feedback. It's a truly unique tour and a once-in-a-lifetime chance to visit one of the largest, most well-known, and most haunting and photogenic spots in the world.
Have questions? Please email me at email@example.com for help!
Please be sure to read Trip Details, Terms & Conditions, and Safety Risks carefully before signing up!
- Transportation within Ukraine
- Meals (breakfast each day, 7 dinners, and 5 lunches)
- All mentioned activities/permits/entrance fees
- Pickup/dropoff from hotels and airport
- Local guides throughout the tour
- Flights to/from Ukraine
- Meals and activities not mentioned
- Travel insurance
- Day 1: Arrival date, Meet & Greet Dinner
- Day 2: Walking tour of Kiev, Group photo discussion, Group Dinner
- Day 3: Travel to Chernobyl, first day tour
- Day 4: Pripyat
- Day 5: Power Plant, cooling tower, and more
- Day 6: Duga Radar Array & surrounding campus
- Day 8: Soviet Summer Camp, Arts & Culture Building, travel back to Kyiv for departure dinner
- Day 8: Departure